Open-Eco-Innovation for SMEs with Pan-European Key Enabling Technology Centres
The KET4CleanProduction partners prepared a scientific publication demonstrating the advantages of the open innovation concept and cooperation among European small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), technology centres (TCs) and Enterprise Europe Network members (EENs). The main conclusions are:
- For 68% of the surveyed SMEs, clean and sustainable production is (very) important.
- KET TCs are able to support SMEs efficiently regarding clean production.
- EENs play an important role in the implementation and management of open-eco-innovation processes.
- A pan-European triangular open innovation process has enabled many innovation projects to be completed within 7 months.
- Dissemination and communication activities are important to overcome distrust of general open-innovation projects
- An exclusively digital communication leads to difficulties in understanding the technical problems of the SMEs. Personal meetings among SMEs and KET-TCs are very costly but more effective to understanding the problem and proposed a suitable solution.
The article was published in the October 2020 edition of the Clean Technology Journal.